WWE Champion teases run for US President after Joe Biden bows out

JEDDAH, SAUDI ARABIA - MAY 23: Cody Rhodes looks on during King and Queen of the Ring Press Event at Jeddah Superdome on May 23, 2024 in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. (Photo by WWE/Getty Images)
Cody Rhodes seems open to a move into politics (Picture: WWE/Getty Images)

WWE superstar Cody Rhodes has refused to rule out running for United States President in the future.

The current WWE Champion might have his hands full in the wrestling ring as SummerSlam approaches on August 3, but the American Nightmare has responded to calls for a run in politics after Joe Biden bowed out of the presidential race.

On Sunday, the current president announced he will not seek re-election against Donald Trump in November, while he has endorsed his vice president Kamala Harris to replace him as Democratic nominee.

Some WWE fans have suggested Cody could step up and take over the White House, and the 39-year-old wrestler isn’t ruling it out.

‘Maybe one day,’ he coyly replied, suggesting while a switch to politics isn’t top of his priorities at the moment, he’s open to the idea in the future.

He wouldn’t be the first wrestling megastar to consider that route, as Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson – who faced Cody at WrestleMania 40 earlier this year – has openly discussed the possibility.

US Vice President Kamala Harris greets US President Joe Biden onstage at the Democratic National Committee 2023 Winter meeting in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Joe Biden has endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris (Picture: Andrew Cabellero-Reynolds/ AFP)

Back in 2020, Cody revealed he wanted to move into politics one day, and use ‘the sphere of influence’ he has on the world to do good.

‘I have political aspirations. I would love to run for the Senate in the great state of Georgia,’ he told Bleacher Report. ‘I want to help with the sphere of influence I have created. I always say if you do the work, it will pay off.’

And back in April he jokingly referenced his rivalry with The Rock, as he quipped on The Pat McAfee Show: ‘Just to make him angry, maybe I’ll run for office too, you know? I don’t know the platform yet.’

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson stands in ring at the Wells Fargo Center on April 8, 2024 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Monday Night Raw after WWE WrestleMania 40
Cody’s rival Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson is open to a run himself (Picture: WWE/Getty Images)

The Rock previously claimed: ‘I got a visit from the parties asking me if I was going to run – and if I could run.’

He said he was ‘really honoured’ by the result of a 2021 poll which found that close to half of Americans would support him, and had previously said he wanted to ‘unite’ America by running for president.

However, in April he told Fox News: ‘I’m not a politician, I’m not into politics,’ while adding he ‘cares deeply about our country’.

Up Next

The question of who will actually represent the Democrats and face Trump in November remains to be seen, with the US still coming to terms with Biden’s statement.

He wrote: ‘It has been the greatest honor of my life to serve as your President.

‘And while it has been my intention to seek re-election, I believe it is in the best interests of my party and the country for me to stand down and to focus solely on fulfilling my duties as president for the remainder of my term.’

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.



Ad Consultant
Business services
Top rated Digital marketing. From $30 Business growth strategy Hello! I am Sam, a Facebook blueprint certified marketer. Expert in Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, Google Ads, YouTube Ads, and SEO. I use SEMrush and other tools for data-driven research. I can build million-dollar marketing strategy for your business.
Learn more

Post a Comment

0 Comments