People reveal why they were disciplined or fired after their work Christmas party

Christmas party horror stories
Things can quickly get out of hand when your colleagues have a few free drinks (Picture: Ella Byworth for Metro.co.uk)

The work Christmas party can be a tricky one.

Of course, you want to have fun with your colleagues – but they are still the people you have to work with.

You have to face them in the Monday morning meeting. It’s hard to avoid seeing them again.

Just because there are lots of free drinks, doesn’t mean you should let all your inhibitions go, especially if you end up putting your job at risk.

Your employer will have rules for what counts as gross misconduct and you need to be careful you don’t breach that.

These are some of our favourite stories of people who learnt the hard way and ended up in trouble after a Christmas night out.

I flashed my favourite breast at a new colleague

On a crowded minibus on the way to the Christmas do, I decided to showcase my favourite breast (the left one).

However, the guy in the firing line was new and hadn’t actually started yet; he was invited on our Christmas do to meet everyone.

In my appraisal the following week, my manager did not see the funny side and gave me a disciplinary warning.

She even had to check if he was okay and still wanted to join the company. Fair to say I won’t be flashing the girls again this year.

I threw up on my boss

I had one too many drinks and the shot of tequila tipped me over the edge. I started to feel myself throwing up as I was dance floor and tried to run towards the bathroom.

As I turned, I lost my balance and threw up over a pair of shoes – I looked up to see them connected to my very straight-laced boss and I knew I was in trouble. He told me to clean myself up and go home.

I went into work after the weekend and was called into his office. He told me that they wouldn’t be renewing my short-term contract and that was it.

He never said anything about the vomit incident but I think that pushed him over the edge. I ended up finding my dream job after that so maybe it was worth it.

I woke up in my boss’ bed, full of regret

How to hook up responsibly at your office Christmas party
‘We ended up sharing a kiss’ (Picture: Ella Byworth for Metro.co.uk)

My boss had been flirting with me for a while and I had told myself I wouldn’t go there because I really loved that job and knew it could never end well.

At the Christmas party, I have a few too many drinks and we ended up sharing a kiss, before going home together.

The next day, I woke up and was full of regret. I knew she had more feelings for me and I just didn’t for her.

I tried to let her down gently and said I wanted to keep things professional. She seemed to take it well.

In the weeks that followed, she made my life hell at work.

I eventually ended up resigning because our relationship got so bad. I felt like it was either that or be fired.

A colleague heard everything I said about him

I really wasn’t getting on well with someone quite senior at work and I was really pleased when someone else mentioned they weren’t going to the work Christmas party.

We started pre-drinking in the office and I was far too drunk by the time we got to the venue.

I was slagging off the colleague I didn’t like loudly with someone else when I realised he was right behind me – he’d decided to come after all and had heard every word.

Luckily he wasn’t my direct manager but I had a disciplinary meeting the following week and he asked not to work with me again.

I gave someone a black eye

I ended up getting into an argument with a colleague at a work Christmas party and it led to a bit of a punch up.

I’m not sure I even remember what it was all about but I gave the other guy a black eye and my boss saw everything.

I was taken outside by security and my boss spoke to me telling me I would be expected in her office first thing on Monday.

I was told my behaviour wasn’t acceptable and suspended under investigation. Eventually, I lost my job and I still feel like such an idiot for losing my temper like that.

MORE: How to deal with a work Christmas party romantic rejection

MORE: Can you get fired for what happens at the Christmas party? And what would get you fired?

MORE: Christmas party dresses under £30 that are sure to wow all the guests



source https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/09/people-reveal-disciplined-fired-work-christmas-party-11278212/
Top rated Digital marketing. From $30 Business growth strategy Hello! I am Sam, a Facebook blueprint certified marketer. Expert in Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, Google Ads, YouTube Ads, and SEO. I use SEMrush and other tools for data-driven research. I can build million-dollar marketing strategy for your business.
Learn more

Post a Comment

0 Comments